Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

Winchester - Fort Collier

Second Battle of Winchester
Circle Tour Marker and Map

The sign and an accompanying map are on the west side of the intersection of the Martinsburg Pike (U.S. 11) and Brooke Road, across from the Fort Collier site. They were erected in 1964 by the Virginia Civil War Commission.

 

Location: 39.201, -78.155556; see map

 

From the marker:

 

2nd Battle of Winchester

 

June 13–15, 1863

 

General Richard S. Ewell with 14,000 Confederates defeated General Robert H. Milroy with 6,900 Federals. Prior to his second invasion of the North, Lee sent Ewell to Winchester to clear the Valley of Federals. Dividing his forces, Ewell on June 14th deployed General E. Johnson’s division to divert Milroy’s attention to the east, while General J.A. Early’s troops marched undetected around southwestern limits of town to attack from the west at 6 p.m. Anticipating Milroy’s withdrawal toward Martinsburg after dark, Ewell sent three brigades of Johnson’s division around Winchester on the east. Before dawn June 15th, Johnson intercepted the Federals near Stephenson’s Depot, 4 miles northeast of town, as they took the road toward Charlestown. His surprise attack resulted in heavy fighting, and the capture of 2,500 Federals. Milroy and the remnant of his command evacuated Martinsburg and Harpers Ferry, leaving the Valley to the Confederates.



Second Battle of Winchester Circle Tour Marker and Map
(above and below) Second Battle of Winchester Circle Tour Marker and Map

Second Battle of Winchester Circle Tour Marker and Map
Second Battle of Winchester Circle Tour Marker and Map