Battle of Cedar Creek No. 21-A
A historical marker on the Battle of Cedar Creek is on the southwest side of Strasburg, Virginia, on the north side of the Valley Pike (U.S. 11) across from the Old Mill Restarant. It is on the right just past the very short bridge as you leave town. (38.9894° N, 78.3704° W; map)
The marker was erected in 1927 by the State of Virginia.
After the Battle of Cedar Creek, fought four miles to the north outside Middletown, Confederate survivors fled south along the Valley Pike from pursuing Federal Cavalry. The Valley Pike runs here in a narrow gap between steep bluffs and the North Fork of the Shenandoah River, with a bridge over a tiny stream that is now called Cedar Spring Run. The bridge collapsed, trapping Confederate wagons and artillery, including artillery pieces captured from the Federals earlier in the day. The loss was the final straw in the destruction of the Confederate Army of the Valley.
Text from the marker:
Battle of Cedar Creek
The breaking of this bridge
in the evening of October
19, 1864 permitted Sheridan
to retake most of the mate-
rial captured in the morning
Erected 1927 by Conservation & Development Commission